Tuesday 7 April 2009

Hunted by Thoreau. Cheers!

Train of thought, stream of events
  1. Last night I was watching an old episode of Cheers and Diane mentioned and quoted something of Thoreau. (I love her uncontrollable need for intellectual expression in the beer setting. Hilarious).
  2. I thought - long time no see, Mr. T. So I read some.
  3. These days I have an ongoing discussion about John Cage with a friend of mine. I needed one quote so I leafed through his For the Birds (amazing by the way) and opened on a discussion on anarchism and, of course, Thoreau.
  4. Today I was combed through some books I got from somebody who needed more space in her room. One of them was Little Women by Louisa M. Alcott. Frankly speaking, I had no idea who she was so I checked and read some stories about her.
  5. She turned out to be a daughter of Amos Bronson Alcott - the famous transcendentalist , founder of the utopian Fruitlands (I want to visit this place), member of Transcendental Club. Which means - Thoreau again. Of course, as a little girl Louisa was taking lessons with the master of the Woods.

Also, Louisa M. Alcott turned out to be an author of my favorite (from today) best last words:

"Is it not meningitis?"

No comments: